Saturday, October 30, 2010

Forced Retirement at age 58

by Jan
(Houston,TX)

I have been divorced for many many years and have two sons in their twenties who live in excess of 200 miles from me and while we are close they do have their own lives. I have no other family.

I was beginning to think of retiring in five years or so when, to my shock, I was not only forced to retire but treated very badly by my employers of eight years... after being considered the best in my field for many years.

I have been prone to anxiety /depression for many years but otherwise have good health. This saga began in May 2010 and I have had many ups and downs.

The anxiety is currently on the increase. I have tried many meds and therapy with little positive effect in the past so I have minimal confidence in these avenues.

I did not have the luxury of planning a retirement and as a public school employee have limited financial resources.

I do not miss the work because of the shabby way I was treated. I am just feeling lost and alone. I do wish I could handle the anxiety better.

Wendy: Jan - this happens to so many near retirees, and in today's economy, more than ever. Please consider joining my Retirement Transition group - all new retirees like you, all figuring out who they are and what to do next. Click on email groups to the left... or contact me and I'll add you to the group.

I think this group might be able to put this transition into perspective for you... they are living it too!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment