Saturday, October 30, 2010

Retired Teacher's Story

by Diane
(Wisconsin)

It was very recent that I had retired. All my life I have been working as a school teacher. I really loved my job.

I loved teaching children, watching them grow, and generally being an active citizen of my community. It was upsetting, though, as I got closer to retirement age because I loved my job so much.

I really have never been one to have many hobbies so I was really feeling a great deal of anxiety because I didn't know what I would do without my job.

When I was preparing for retirement I was trying to come up with things to do during it. I was thinking of perhaps taking up gardening or something on that line. I had always wanted to learn to grow my own tomatoes and cucumbers and it would probably be an excellent time to take up the hobby. I thought so anyway.

Thankfully during the rest of my life I had never been much of a spender. I had a large safe full of money I had saved my whole life. I also had a very large retirement plan so financially I was very stable. I just had a lot of trouble getting use to the idea physiologically.

Last year was the big yeah for me - it was the year I finally retired. I sat around the house all day, not really doing anything. I would clean a lot. I think that at that time I became a bit obsessive compulsive over cleaning because I had nothing else to do.

Over time my family have helped me become a bit more comfortable with my retirement. I do miss being in my former workplace. I miss seeing the children's faces.

At the same time I still feel like I've had a very rewarding career and that I could probably use this time of rest.

Thankfully I am still able to see former students on a daily basis. I pass them by everyday in stores and other establishments.

I am very happy about my retirement even if sometimes I do get the blues.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment